Thursday, May 7, 2015

Paranoid Style Of American Politics

Insanity does not change and demagogues will always exploit delusions and fears.  This was brought to mind by my previous post, Paranoia Texas Style, wherein I make another reference to the John Birch Society.  I have to say another reference because I refer to the John Birch Society and Joe McCArthy in several of my posts.  The thing is that I could just as easily make my point by referring to the "No Nothings" or other paranoid parties and fear driven movements from our history.  This is why a Nov. 8, 2006 post entitled "Richard Hofstadter and the paranoid style in politics" on Rationallyspeaking is as relevant and timely today as it was in 2006 and why Richard Hofstadter's essay about the paranoid style in politics is so timeless.

The fact that this paranoid style in politics is always with us in no way minimizes the danger it poses.  It is like a sickness or disease; it is more or less dangerous depending on how well we control it.  When a major political party gives those nut jobs power the threat they pose increases exponentially.  Thanks to the Republicans that threat level is high today!

No comments:

Post a Comment