Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Death With Dignity

Death with dignity does not mean silently waiting for death to arrive and relieve you of the suffering that is robbing you of your cognitive ability and the basic functions we all take for granted. Brittany Maynard is a young lady who has terminal brain cancer. She has gone to Oregon to choose when she will end her life. This is something I really understand. I was taking care of my brother when his lung cancer metastasized to his brain. In spite of all the drugs used to ease his pain, this was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever witnessed. My brother was being tortured by his cancer. No one should ever be forced to endure that torture!

I want to thank Brittany for having the courage to make her decision public. In doing so, she has made us focus on the question of whether a terminally ill patient should be able to put an end to the suffering. As Brittany said, this is a decision no one wants to make. She would rather live, but a few more days, weeks or months of agony or not knowing who or where you are is not really living. My heart goes out to you and your family Brittany. I hope you know you are making a positive difference by bringing attention to your struggle and the difficult decision you have made!

No comments:

Post a Comment