Thursday, January 17, 2019

Hidden In Plain Words

Google defines Idiom as: “a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs, see the light).”

“Not your grandma's congress,” is obviously an idiom. One would think that someone old enough to be a grandparent would know about idioms, but when I published on another site my post entitled, “Not Your Grandma's Congress”, some lady objected to the title. This lady totally ignored the meaning of the idiom and argued that congress belongs to grandparents as well as to the young. She then went on to describe the contributions grandparents make to the country and congress as if an older generation needed defending!

I should not have to define the meaning of the idiom I used. “Not your grandpa's ---- or your grandma's ---", are often used expressions, and most people who speak American English know what they mean. Seriously, is there anyone who could read an advertisement saying: “This new Mustang is not your grandpa's Ford”, and think that Ford is saying your grandfather should not buy the new Mustang?

My guess is that what this lady was really objecting to is a new generation demanding a seat at the table and competing for leadership positions in our government. I think this lady was really saying: “Wait your turn sonny or missy; we ain't ready to be put out to pasture yet!” But is this really a matter of out with old and in with new? An infusion of youth is usually phased in and appears to be a rapid change only when someone makes an issue of it. I do not fear change; I welcome it! Something is wrong. Our society and government are failing the middle class. We need to honor and listen to elder statesmen who know how things work so that we can bring about the changes we need to make, but we also need an infusion of energy and creativity. I do not think that the ascension of a younger, diverse generation and heeding the wisdom of an older generation are mutually exclusive options. Whether someone of Joe Biden's generation or a millennial wins the Democratic Party's nomination for President there will be enough continuity so that we need not fear a radical departure from the values and policies that make us who we are! In fact I would argue that President[e] Trump's xenophobia, and his ignorance and/or stupidity regarding our well established policies and values pose the gravest threat to who we are and what we stand for. 

I might add here that I am no spring chicken! “No spring chicken!” How do you like that? I just used another idiom, and a pejorative one at that, to describe myself.  Looks like the yolk's on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment